[lazarus] OFF TOPIC: Spam dictionary attack

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Sat Sep 6 13:54:10 EDT 2003

Well, I dunno if everyone was getting bounce notices from my account
while I had my server turned off, but here's what I've done.

At the peak of the storm my server was receiving 4000 emails per minute
from about 30 different IP addresses, mostly located in China, Korea,
Taiwan, Brazil and Germany.

I have now blocked every class A address used by the Asian Pacific
network from communicating with my server, in addition to 2 class A
addresses in Germany and one in Brazil.  I don't think it will affect
people sending mail to this list, but some of you may not be able to
send me e-mail directly anymore.  It's tough-love, but since the ISP's
had no intention of assisting with the problem (in fact every IP had no
DNS associated with it,) it was my last resort short of disabling my
e-mail entirely.

-Tony