[lazarus] Questions about DB status

Micha Nelissen M.Nelissen at student.tue.nl
Sat Sep 13 08:25:57 EDT 2003

Andrew Johnson wrote:

> I want to get DB working in Lazarus, so I looked around in my old Delphi cruft and found  a dsnavigator I wrote for some reason based on some freeware one out there. it looks a bit.... wierd and not DBNavigator compatible  but it seems to work in delphi, and it can be compiled with pretty much no change in lazarus, so I figured I could start there and work forward by getting a base FieldDataLink and Edit based on MaskEdit and make a basic TextTable based on mylittlebase(which can compile with no changes whatsoever with fpc1.0.10 in delphi mode) however I discovered to my dismay that a good half of the functionality needed to implement a proper TDataset descendant has yet to be implemented. So my question would be this.. should I consider trying to get basic db aware controls "working" even though the backend dataset stuff is sorely lacking in some areas or should I try and get fcl dataset more complete(assuming I am capable). I have a texttable that sort of works in delphi

b!
> ut untill the missing functionality is taken care of in fcl it will be rather useless.
>
> comments ideas? people want to help?

I am the author of TDbf: tdbf.sf.net which can read/write dbase files
and read/write/use/search indexes (ndx,mdx). It now runs 'on' the VCL,
it's a TDataSet descendant. Maybe that can be used as a backend. I never
tried compiling it because the db-aware controls weren't present
anyway...(sigh) and because there is much work to do on the win32
interface too. But I am willing to help where possible.

Regards,

Micha.