[Lazarus] wxWidgets - cross platform widget set

david.lyon at preisshare.net david.lyon at preisshare.net
Wed Apr 16 04:44:18 CEST 2008

Guys -

I am not such an active pascal developer anymore, having (been forced
to) switch to python.

However, I am very certain that Lazarus could benefit by adopting the
wxWidget cross platform widget set.

In the old days, maybe you guys had to do it all yourself. Develop the
widgets.

But after having used wxpython (wxwidgets under python) i am so
impressed about how smoothly it all works on the various platforms.

Basically, wxwidgets is a rip off of delphi anyway. But they coded it in c++.

It works on all platforms.

It is not dissimilar to existing lcl.

Old programs would probably stay with lcl for compatability

But new programs could use the wxwidgets gui componentry.

With wxwidgets, the amount of work spent working on the widget sets
(lcl) would be reduced. And the quality of resulting programs (that we
users write) would be higher.

So i am just suggesting that it be looked into.

Here is the evaluation that i would suggest:

  - install boa constructor (the python-wxwidgets ide - like lazarus)

  - to do this you need
    * python (activepython)
    * wxwidgets

Have a close look at how polished apps can be. eg gui2exe (a python compiler)

It is just astounding how nice these applications can be.

This suggestion is aimed around reducing the work you guys need to do,
and leveraging off a really fantastic widget/gui library, not
dissimilar but more polished and refined.

Regards

David