[Lazarus] Unicode support enabled for win32 with fpc 2.2.1 and higher

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Fri Apr 18 22:39:06 CEST 2008

Vincent Snijders wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just enabled WindowsUnicodeSupport in the svn version for Lazarus
> (revison 14883), if fpc 2.2.1 or later is used. This effects all
> applications compiled with the win32 interface.

<snipped>

> We invite all windows users to test this and report bugs to the bug
> tracker. If no major bugs are found, then this will be the default for
> the next Lazarus release too. Lazarus 0.9.26 is scheduled a couple of
> weeks after the fpc 2.2.2 release because of a widestring bug in fpc 2.2.0.
>
> For more information about LCL and Unicode support, see:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/LCL_Unicode_Support#Unicode-enabling_the_win32_interface
>
> To go back to the old situation compile the LCL with
> -dDisableWindowsUnicodeSupport.
>
> Vincent

Great work, Vincent.

Will there not be a Windows installer released until the 0.9.26 release I
assume?  I've tried several time to build lazarus on windows from source, but I
can never seem to get it to work.  Linux on the other hand seems to be a cinch.

Also, other than encoding existing source files to UTF-8, are there any changes
to the user of strings in general or is this abstracted behind LCL?

Thanks,

--
Warm Regards,

Lee