[Lazarus] UTF-8 and Lazarus

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 11:44:34 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>  So what is still needed for full UTF-8 support in Lazarus (IDE and
>  widgetsets). Is there something I need to enable when I compile it, or
>  is it still missing features?

I would say that the biggest thing missing is dropping gtk1, but it
will still take a lot of time for that to happen. All other interfaces
now support unicode, including win32, wince, qt, etc

I think there is 1 bug report for win32 unicode.

>  * Using GTK1 and it doesn't display correctly.

It's not our fault:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_known_issues_%28things_that_will_never_be_fixed%29#Inconsistent_internationalization_support

>  * fpGUI displays it correctly ;-)

By the way, is there any development in the fpgui interface?

Is the roadmap for it updated?

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Roadmap#Status_of_features_on_each_widgetset

>  Is any development still being done for GTK1, or will that widgetset be
>  phased out before the v1 release?

Gtk 1 is still officially the official linux interface for 1.0. If you
go to the bug tracker and set "gtk2" in the tags, there are some 50
bugs.

There are complaints that gtk2 is too slow, specially in distributed systems.

Maybe a good fpgui widgetset could alliviate some of the problems, and
be used together with gtk2 to substitute gtk1.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho