[Lazarus] Porting Large Application from Windows to Linux

Adrian De Armas adearmas at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 18:30:09 CEST 2008

I am just copying an email written by Fabio Dell'Aria some time ago where
this issue was discused.
Hope you find it usefull.

Regards

-------------------------MAIL BEGIN---------------------------
Hi to all,

all we know how many new users do not uses lazarus because it create too BIG
compiled files.

We know that:

1)...the additional options are needed to can debug the project;
2)...just do a simple "strip --strip-all filename" reduce drastically the
final size (an empty project go from 12.5Mb to 1.2 Mb).

I think to have found a really simple solution to can continue to debug our
project with a really little size increasing.

Just remove all the debug-info from all the LCL object files to reduce the
final compiled file from 12.5Mb to ONLY 2Mb (on Windows).

We'll can continue to debug our projects but we'll CANNOT debug the LCL
code.

To obtain this little miracle just use the following command (from the
shell):

For Windows:

FOR /R "Your_Lazarus_Folder" %v IN (*.o) DO strip --strip-debug "%~fv"

For Linux:

sudo find /your_lazarus_folder -name *.o -exec strip --strip-debug {} \;

What do you think about? ;)

--
Best regards...

Fabio Dell'Aria.