[Lazarus] Any chance of changing the LCL Unicode encoding to UTF-16?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 23:22:14 CEST 2008

Hi Luiz,

Your timing couldn't be better!!  I was having the same discussion
with a user in the fpGUI newsgroups. Should fpGUI change it's internal
string encoding from UTF-8 to UTF-16?  Like you said... FPC seems to
be very pro-Delphi compatible.  And from the discussions in the
fpc-devel mailing list it seems they will follow Delphi to the UTF-16
string encoding.

So where does that leave the frameworks that rely on UTF-8 as the
internal string encoding? Lazarus LCL and fpGUI?  Also where does it
leave the applications developed with those UTF-8 enabled toolkits?
How would such a change suggested by FPC affect all those projects?

Regards,
  - Graeme -

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:34 PM, Luiz Americo Pereira Camara
<luizmed at oi.com.br> wrote:
> This is just a question not a request.
>
> In the recent discussion about fpc support to unicode it seems that
> delphi compatibility is a must for fpc and since delphi will use UTF-16
> as the main encoding in the next release, probably fpc will follow it.
>
> So, any chance of changing the LCL Unicode encoding to UTF-16?
>
> I'm asking this because i develop a component (VirtualTreeView) that
> uses WideString/UTF-16 to support unicode and i'm planning to switch to
> UTF-8. If LCL change to UTF-16 it will be lost of time.
>
> Luiz

 - Graeme -