[Lazarus] Any chance of changing the LCL Unicode encoding to UTF-16?

Ivan Gan ivan at comchatter.com
Mon Aug 4 07:52:59 CEST 2008

UTF-8 is the better encoding system to use
It is more compact than UTF-16 & why make applications more bloated than
they already are?
I agree with Felipe, a single encoding is better
UTF-8 is also very widely supported on the net with an increasing number
of web pages using it
Existing ANSI encoded applications can be upgraded easily using UTF-8,
UTF-16 requires a lot more work
Delphi VCL is Windows, not cross platform, Lazarus LCL is a better
solution anyhow
Delphi was a great tool & the creators done a fantastic job but it no
longer leads the way as it used to
Lazarus is now in my view a better environment to work with & is
beginning to take the lead anyhow
Is Delphi simply following Lazarus by introducing Unicode?
Using UTF-8 on linux & UTF-16 on windows is a mistake, it would force
code changes & loose cross platform abilities which are the real
strength of Lazarus
What I need to see when developing is consistency across platforms,
anything else costs money & time
I would far rather see time being spent on addressing the weak areas
like better Internet support, the INDY component set don't work properly
& I haven't found any other set as easy to use
We have effective Unicode support in Lazarus, ok, next problem please,
thats my view