[Lazarus] Any chance of changing the LCL Unicode encoding to UTF-16?

Martin Schreiber fpmse at bluewin.ch
Tue Aug 5 10:22:39 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 09.47:01 Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 08:50:29AM +0200, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> > With UCS2/utf-16 on the other hand *all* current users of MSEgui can
> > store *all* the codepoints they need in a single utf-16 word
>
> ?? Martin, can you make a formal statement about what MSEGUI now supports?
> I keep getting the feeling you only support UCS-2.

MSEgui doesn't care about surrogate pairs at the moment, they are handled as
two consecutive (unknown) single characters. If the users need codepoints
above the BMP they can store it in widestrings in utf-16 encoding but MSEgui
will not show it correctly on the screen. BiDi isn't supported neither BTW.
Surrogate pair handling can be implemented in the MSEgui screen and edit
functions later if necessary.
My point is that none of the current MSEide+MSEgui users need codepoints above
the BMP so I don't want to complicate and slowdown internal stringhandling
for a feature nobody needs at the moment.
BiDi is probably more important but difficult to implement for me because I
have no knowledge in right to left languages.

Martin