[Lazarus] [lazarus] Gtk?

Reenen Laurie rlaurie at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 22:36:18 CEST 2008

My concern is the amount of work that goes into making something
"work" on Gtk1, Gtk2, Windows, Carbon, Qt, etc.

Some of the older widget sets doesn't support cool (or even basic)
user interface stuff like docking... The gimp still makes me shudder.

You can "get it to work" on those widget sets, but with weeks of
coding - working "around" the lack of support.  Sometimes breaking
support for other widget sets.

Boian's idea of a "thin layer" sounds like a decent enough solution.

Regards,
-Reenen

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Mattias Gaertner
<nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 21:12:20 +0200
> "Reenen Laurie" <rlaurie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everybody
>>
>> I don't want to rehash stuff that's already been discussed at length,
>> but I missed that part...
>>
>> According to the blog (lazarus-dev.blogspot.com) Gtk is just so
>> complicated.  Why don't we just decide on Qt4 as it is now gpl, and
>> focus all our energies on getting qt 4 stable.   Then we can have 1
>> very cool looking stable widget set that has scalability, and pretty
>> much will be able to satisfy 99% of the users needs (and that 1% isn't
>> likely to be fulfilled by GTK anyway).
>
> Why qt? Why not fpgui? Or write a cool widgetset using opengl?
>
> As long as some people support a widgetset it will be supported.
>

> Mattias

o__
,_.>/ _
...speed is good