[Lazarus] TButton must now become a custom draw component

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 15:10:59 CEST 2008

On 8/7/08, Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:

> Delphi works around some limits of the windows 'controls'.
>  Other widgetsets don't have this limit.

I'm not disputing that.

> TBitBtn has an icon and is not custom drawn under all widgetsets.

True, it's "native" under fpGUI as well. ;-)

> VCL
>  compatibility does not mean copying implementation. In fact, this is forbidden
>  under most laws.

Why must you "copy the implementation", LCL can implement it itself.
It's not rocket science to draw a bitmap on a button, I done that ages
ago in fpGUI.  And if you have to implementation custom drawn under
Windows, why not simply use that for all widgetsets? That way it's
consistent on all widgetsets and not duplicate work.   Or does that
hit the stumbling block of "it's not native"?  This is starting to
sound like the Chicken & Egg situation!  :)

>  But I see what you are up to:

;-)

>  But how to use the new richedit control under msegui? With the LCL you can
>  easily write a control using it (windows only). What about fpgui?

TSynEdit is richedit control is it not?  Oh, and it's custom drawn.
And to answer your question about RichEdit and fpGUI.  I am planning
on implementing such a control or port one of the freely available
ones on the Net.

eg:  Have a look at TMS's Advanced Memo component.  It's exactly like
Delphi 2007's editor - and they call it a MEMO!  I call it a memo on
steroids!  :)
  http://www.tmssoftware.com/site/advmemo.asp

>  BTW, the new TEdit.OnlyNumber property is a joke, is it not?

That's what I thought too!

Regards,
  - Graeme -