[Lazarus] Is this a new microsoft approach?

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 15:20:12 CEST 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Simply allow configuration files to be written in the users HOME folder,
> nowhere else, unless you are Admin — how difficult is that! You don't
> need this virtual crap.

I think the "virtual" business was probably inherited from MS IIS which
had virtual directories (e.g. some location in the filesystem
corresponding to http://localhost/).

I don't like configuration or state files that are written without
warning, what I do if I want to save (for example) a list of
recently-opened document names is use a file named like ~/.myapp.ini
(for unix, or a hidden file in the user's profile directory for Windows)
but only if it already exists and is accessible.

However the real problem is where programs have been written assuming
files in hardwired default locations which in retrospect were
inappropriate despite being compliant with MS's recommendations.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk