[Lazarus] How to create a Wizard (InstallShield type) interface

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Aug 29 10:29:26 CEST 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> May applications, but mostly installations packages like InstallShield
> use a Wizard style interface. Start application, click Next, Next,
> Next, Finish. :-)
>
> How do you create such a Wizard interface?
>
>  * Is in a lot of forms, displayed over eachother?
>  * Is it a tab type component, with the tabs set to invisible?
>  * Does it use one Form and a bunch of Frames?
>  * ???
>
> Anybody have some hints on this? How to recreate such an GUI interface.

At work, we routinely use a TPageControl with all tabs set to invisible.
The TTabsheet pages are filled with TFrames (actually, there is always
a TWizardFrame, and all TFrames descend from this) - to ensure the various
steps are truly independent.

It keeps it RAD, and lets the various tabs be developed independently.
TWizardFrame has methods and properties such as 'NextButtonEnabled' 'PreviousButtonEnabled',
'NextButtonCaption' and so in, making the wizard itself pretty generic.

Michael.