[Lazarus] Where does Lazarus store/look for global settings/options?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Dec 1 10:10:38 CET 2008

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 09:08:19 +0100
Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es> wrote:

> En/na Mattias Gaertner ha escrit:
>
> >> http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3c48F836DE.2080402%40wetron.es%3e
> >
> > Well, yes and no.
> > It is not a bug, because to use two different settings the --pcp
> > option exists (See my answer to the above mail).
> > And yes, lazbuild does not have an option to override the lazarus
> > source directory.
> > The same is true for many other options.
> >
> > Sharing a lazarus config directory by two different lazarus versions
> > can give trouble. Better use two different lazarus config
> > directories. I'm not sure what settings you want to share.
>
> I don't really want to share them, I just want to build lazarus with
> my selection of components, regardless of the lazarus version I'm
> using. Suppose I use svn and 0.9.26, suppose also that, as you
> suggest, I use --pcp to keep the configuration different.
> Now, suppose that while I'm using the svn version, I install a
> component bundled with lazarus, say, rx.
> What I want is, when I rebuild 0.9.26, it also has rx installed, but
> obviously compiling it from the 0.9.26 source directory, and without
> having to manually install it in the ide.
> Most important, when I update to 0.9.28 I also want to rebuild it and
> have rx included.
> Of course, it wouldn't be an issue if you only have a couple of
> components installed, but it is when you have 10 or 20.
> As of now, the only way to do it is to copy the configuration files
> from one version to the other and manually edit the paths of the
> components that are under the lazarus source directory.

Well, the important point is:
"without having to manually install it in the ide."

If you don't want to use the IDE, then yes, you have to
manually edit the config files.
What you need is a (command line) tool to copy some part of the config
directory to another config directory (here: the list of installed
package names and the paths that are not in the lazarus directory).
The IDE allows to save the list of installed package names and load
them (Packages / congfigure installed packages / import,export). If this
list is extended with the paths then you have a tool. But you have to
start the IDE for that. At the moment you have to manually open each
new package once.

Keep in mind that sharing one config with two different lazarus versions
is not supported. A newer lazarus can read the older configs. But the
other way does not work always, so you can loose some settings.

Mattias