[Lazarus] Where does Lazarus store/look for global settings/options?

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Mon Dec 1 11:34:10 CET 2008

En/na Mattias Gaertner ha escrit:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 09:08:19 +0100
> Luca Olivetti <luca at wetron.es> wrote:
>
>> En/na Mattias Gaertner ha escrit:

>>> Well, yes and no.
>>> It is not a bug, because to use two different settings the --pcp
>>> option exists (See my answer to the above mail).
>>> And yes, lazbuild does not have an option to override the lazarus
>>> source directory.
>>> The same is true for many other options.
>>>
>>> Sharing a lazarus config directory by two different lazarus versions
>>> can give trouble. Better use two different lazarus config
>>> directories. I'm not sure what settings you want to share.
>> I don't really want to share them, I just want to build lazarus with
>> my selection of components, regardless of the lazarus version I'm
>> using. Suppose I use svn and 0.9.26, suppose also that, as you
>> suggest, I use --pcp to keep the configuration different.
>> Now, suppose that while I'm using the svn version, I install a
>> component bundled with lazarus, say, rx.
>> What I want is, when I rebuild 0.9.26, it also has rx installed, but
>> obviously compiling it from the 0.9.26 source directory, and without
>> having to manually install it in the ide.
>> Most important, when I update to 0.9.28 I also want to rebuild it and
>> have rx included.
>> Of course, it wouldn't be an issue if you only have a couple of
>> components installed, but it is when you have 10 or 20.
>> As of now, the only way to do it is to copy the configuration files
>> from one version to the other and manually edit the paths of the
>> components that are under the lazarus source directory.
>
> Well, the important point is:
> "without having to manually install it in the ide."

Actually, without having to *re* install it in the ide. I'm perfectly
fine with the ide for the first time I install a new package. After that
I simply want to use make to rebuild lazarus.

> If you don't want to use the IDE, then yes, you have to
> manually edit the config files.
> What you need is a (command line) tool to copy some part of the config
> directory to another config directory (here: the list of installed
> package names and the paths that are not in the lazarus directory).

Actually, the paths that *are* in the lazarus directory, adjusting them
for the *different* lazarus directory. Components outside of the lazarus
tree are no problem.
Maybe the solution could be to simply use relative paths if they are
under the lazarus directory.

> The IDE allows to save the list of installed package names and load
> them (Packages / congfigure installed packages / import,export). If this
> list is extended with the paths then you have a tool.

If it is extended with the path it would probably have the same problem:
components outside the lazarus directory will be fine, components in the
lazarus directory will point to the old one once imported.
Again, maybe the solution could be the use of relative paths.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004      Fax +34 93 5883007