[Lazarus] Where does Lazarus store/look for global settings/options?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 09:17:37 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 12:29 AM, JoshyFun <joshyfun at gmail.com> wrote:

> No, the other way... I'm using in example 0.9.24, and install 0.9.25
> in order to test it and evaluate if an upgrade is interesting. Once
> installed I run it but some things do not work as expected with my
> code so I must still work with 0.9.24 meanwhile I do not fix my
> problems to run in 0.9.25, but... Ooops, 0.9.24 is not working as

I do that often under Linux and have always handled that by specifying
a new config location as a parameter when I start up Lazarus. Why
can't Windows or any other platform users do the same! The command
line doesn't bite. ;-)

You are experimenting with new software, so I would assume you know
what you are doing!

eg:
I have setup two desktop icons with the following details. I can
easily switch between Lazarus versions and they don't affect each
others settings.

--------[ stable Lazarus 0.9.26  ]------------------
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Lazarus IDE 0.9.26
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=/opt/laz_git_copy/lazarus --pcp=/home/graemeg/.lazarus-0.9.26
Comment=Lazarus v0.9.26 release
Icon=/opt/laz_git_copy/images/splash_logo.xpm
GenericName[en_GB]=The stable Lazarus v0.9.26 release

--------[ development Lazarus svn  ]------------------
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Lazarus IDE svn
Type=Application
Terminal=false
Exec=/opt/lazarus_svn/lazarus --pcp=/home/graemeg/.lazarus-svn
Comment=Lazarus unstable
Icon=/opt/lazarus_svn/images/splash_logo.xpm

As you can see, I specify the config path with the --pcp parameter.

Which reminds me. Lazarus should really conform to the FreeDesktop.org
requirements. By default any application's config or custom settings
should live in $HOME/.config/<appname./  directory. Why does Lazarus
IDE still use the old $HOME/.<appname>/ location?

Regards,
  - Graeme -