[Lazarus] Lazarus snapshot rpms now based on fpc 2.2.3

Vincent Snijders vincent.snijders at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 14:51:04 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 01:00:28PM +0200, Reenen Laurie wrote:
> I am totally just throwing an idea into the bush here (and don't understand
> the underlying difficulties)... At the moment Lazarus has to be recompiled
> if we want to add a new component.  I tried that on an old laptop, and
> Lazarus is not a joke to recompile on older hardware (especially memory
> wise).
>
> Can't we make components "interpreted" (ala Python) using Pascal Script?

It would require recoding all existing components, since pascal script is
not compatible. Moreover, it only works for components where the designtime
parts don't depend on the runtime parts.

Moreover, at the time this would be ready, 90% of the hardware in question
would already have been thrashed.

> That'll make it a lot easier to add and play around with components.

I think simply implementing packages would be easier, and also serves other
purposes. (it's not just a plugin system for Lazarus, but at the same time
for the generated apps)

It just needs sb that makes a study out of it, and starts
testing/implementing.