[Lazarus] Lazarus on Mac OS 10.5, 10.4

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Dec 5 22:24:37 CET 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008 08:59:24 +0000
Geoffrey Barton <mrb at periphon.net> wrote:

> Mattias Gartner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:
>
> > I installed the apple developer tools on a 10.5, installed laz and
> > fpc and
> > compiled lazarus without cwstring unit. The produced LCL
> > applications run on
> > 10.4 and 10.5. I didn't even alter the linker options or library
> > paths as
> > described in the wiki.
> > So apparently a simple LCL app does not need much.
> >
> > Maybe some special controls need some special libs?
>

> If I had installed Lazarus (0.9.26) on a machine running OS 10.4,
> presumably it would compile and run programs ok?

I don't know. I have no 10.4 to compile. It would be great if someone
can test.

> What I am getting
> at is, if Lazarus installs, runs and compiles on 10.4 then there
> either must be some configuration which gets set somehow, or nothing
> is required. If not, is there a list of what needs changing? I have
> not seen one. Personally, I do not know how to compile Lazarus at
> all, so certainly would not now how to compile without cwstrings, and
> this would be true for anybody meeting lazarus for the first time on
> a recent Mac, which will be either 10.4 or 10.5. I think a lot of
> Macs are still on 10.4.

As Felipe already said:
Formerly compiling on Mac was quite difficult because of the many
linker issues. The FPC team did a great job, so there are only a few
issues left.

As I said:
Normally a user should not need to know about cwstrings. Maybe I will
implement a more 'dynamic' widestring manager. Then this problem will be
gone. If you can't wait and want to have it now, then see the wiki. The
installation page describes how to get the lazarus svn sources and to
compile them.

Mattias