[Lazarus] TAChart: Request to review/apply patch 12758

Alexander Klenin klenin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 12:22:12 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 20:16, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
> Alexander Klenin schrieb:
>> I.e. my specific problem can be solved in SVN by creating a branch of TAChart
>> component and giving me commit access to it, but then
>> similar branch should be created for my patches to DBGrid,
>> and yet another one for patches to SynEdit (both stalled for about a month now),
>> etc.
>> Obviously, this is not a scalable solution for many developers ;-)
>>

> But isn't the problem that the patches don't get into the central
> repository?

They will get there eventually. The key thing is that patches can be 'batched'
for review/application and not spoon-fed one by one.
Look at what is going on at kernel.org -- a feature can be implemented as a
series of 10 or even 100 patches -- imagine how much time it would take
to submit and review each patch sequentially.

> Though I've write access to the fpc repository ;) I've also several
> local "branches" (actually plain copies of my fpc checkout) with some
> changes in it.

But this is limited to one change per sub a "branch".

> But if it's not feasible for you, you can still use git-svn, no?

I'd like to. Unfortunalely, I use Lazarus on Windows,
and git still has some troubles here.

> BTW: An fpc/lazarus git repository would be really no fun: due to the
> flaky connection a git clone of a converted repository is from
> svn.freepascal.org basically not possible, at least not for me from germany.

Sorry, I can not parse this sentence.

>how does a DVCS scale better in this regard for
>small and medium sized projects (<100 developers)?

DVCS does not require any central administration to create branches
for every developer/feature. It also does not require network connection
for doing commits, which is important to some contries/regions
where Internet is still not cheap or reliable enough.

--
Alexander S. Klenin
Insight Experts Ltd.