[Lazarus] Localization in toolkit like fpGUI

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 10:40:50 CET 2008

On 19/02/2008, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> GetText is not sacred: it is just one mechanism to handle resourcestrings.
>
> The resources branch has a complete implementation of resources for ALL
> platforms supported by FPC. You can store the resource strings in resources,
> (as delphi does) and link in the correct resources. Normally, the resource
> support should be merged in to trunk.

I don't fully understand this.... I've never looked in any resources
branch. Might explaining a bit more?

> My recommendation is to go with resource strings as you would do now with
> constants, and when the compiler has the needed support, switch it to
> a single resource file.

So you are saying option (2) is okay for now. I have all text defined
as resourcestring, but currently I'm ignoring the generated .rst file
and simply using them (rsXXXX constants) as if they were standard
constants.

Regards,
  - Graeme -