[Lazarus] Localization in toolkit like fpGUI

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Tue Feb 19 12:36:56 CET 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is not directly related to Lazarus, but I thought with all
> the experience collected and that Lazarus supports localization, I
> might get some good ideas here...
>
> I want to localize the fpGUI toolkit. Standard dialogs, error
> messages, etc... What is the best way to approach this.
>
> 1) GetText: This was my first thought, but that means every fpGUI
> based application needs to ship with external .po files which I don't
> like and don't want. fpGUI based applications must preferably be a
> single executable at best.  GetText works great for your own
> applications, but not for the GUI framework I think.

Are you really sure that a single executable is a must?

I found out, at least in my experience, that by an end user point of
view, a self extracting zip (Windows), a tar.bz2 (*nix), or a .dmg (Mac)
is pretty much the same, and allows to distribute a folder instead of a
file.

This makes it possible to keep large images as separate files, to add
translation files without touching the source code, to provide a launch
script, an icon in the taskbar or in the desktop, etc.

It also permits to change the language at run-time, which sometimes is
required.

Just my 2 c

Giuliano

--
Giuliano Colla

Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong (O. Wilde)