[Lazarus] Questions about Lazarus

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Mon Jul 21 22:44:50 CEST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 03:43:21 +1000
"Peter Williams" <pewtas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a few questions about Lazarus, in particular for my OS, Linux
> Ubuntu 8.04 { Hardy Heron }:
>
> (1) Does Lazarus (or should I say Free Pascal) support "Virtual
> Keycodes" e.g. constants for keyboard trapping events etc.

Do you mean something like VK_A, VK_ESCAPE and VK_F1?

> (2) How can I ensure that I have the latest versions of Lazarus and
> Free Pascal Compiler installed.

By using svn and updating several times a day.

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus#Connect_to_Source_Repository_with_SVN_.28replaces_section_on_connection_to_CVS.29

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Getting_Lazarus#Development_versions_from_SVN

> I would prefer to let the "Synaptic
> Package Manager" do this automatically if possible... but it does not
> seem to update them. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to change some
> Ubuntu configurations?

The Ubuntu repositories only contain releases, not the very
unstable development versions. This is better for most users.

> (3) Is there available an off-line or internet based help file/system
> for language reference. Note: I would prefer an off-line help system
> as opposed to an internet based one.

There is all kind of documentation. The pascal-language-reference guide
is available in a single pdf.

http://www.freepascal.org/docs.var

Mattias