[Lazarus] Unicode and DBAware

Ivan Gan ivan at comchatter.com
Thu Jul 24 11:16:22 CEST 2008

Hi
When I look at the message source, I see content-encoding set to UTF-8
When I created the message, I set the content to UTF-8,
What Thunderbird or the mail list do with it after that I cant say
I can confirm that your mail was UTF-8, base64 encoded

I have had loads of problems with database encoding & transfer of data,
though I didn't expect the same with these mails
This thread clearly demonstrates to the reader what goes wrong when
encoding standards change & the potential pitfalls when changing Lazarus
to UTF-8
Mattias is Absolutely right about the encoding, yet Thunderbird tells me
the encoding is UTF-8
This brings me back to the original point about database encoding
If you use UTF-8 in the Lazarus application, ensure that your database
driver speaks UTF-8 & your tables are also using UTF-8
Anything else & your risking data mangling & seeing ???????????????? or
some other junk where your text should be