[Lazarus] Produce a 64-bit Linux binary on a 32-bit Linux FPC

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jun 13 13:09:07 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 02:26:24PM -0700, Jalal wrote:
> Because the target program is a command line program this question isn't exactly about Lazarus, but rather FPC.
>
> I have FPC 2.2.0 working on a 32-bit Linux (Debian) machine.
> With it I successfully compile and produce 32-bit Linux executables.
>
> With such a setup (possibly a later FPC version) can I cross-compile to
> produce a 64-bit Linux executable?

In theory you could use an install with source to build the crosscompiler.

But rule of thumb for FPC is : "other CPU architecture -> other compiler
binary". So you need a

> If so, are there instructions in the Wiki? I did search, but this page I found did not address my question:
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/Cross_compiling

I can only stress the last paragraph of that one a bit more.

Note that if you need to link to libraries, it gets more complicated.