[Lazarus] Color setup of the Form1: TForm1

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 19:18:15 CEST 2008

2008/6/17 Kostas Michalopoulos <badsector at slashstone.com>:
>> the themes in linux control everything about the widgets, that means
>> everything on my desktop looks the same (not in terms of application
>> design, but buttons, scrollbars, borders, colours of active/inactive
>> titlebars, shades, translucency, etc).
>>
>> if you need a custom look, you either need to build a themeing engine
>> into lazarus, or write a gtkrc file for your app (the right way, imo).
>> then you can control everything.  if you just need a colour for your
>> form, doesn't a panel work?  (coloured panels work for me in gtk2, at
>> least).
>
> First of all, Linux is not GTK+. There are other toolkits around, like Qt

my mistake, please replace linux with gtk2 in my first sentence.

--8<--

> Secondly, even if there was a "Linux theme engine", the same applies to
> Windows programs. Windows in fact *have* a theme engine and even since
> Windows 3.0 (i think) you were able to change the current theme to something
> else. However as i see, the Win32 backend allows you to change colors, while
> GTK+ does not. While i can accept that doing such a thing in GTK+ is a very

that's incorrect.  gtk does allow you to change colours, please see
http://ometer.com/gtk-colors.html.

--8<--
--8<--
--8<--

lazarus tries to follow the native behaviour of the widget set used,
which makes it look like most other apps written for the same widget
set.  customising everything is a bonus and takes a lot of effort to
implement.

i guess in time all these nice things will be implemented (and a lot
of them are already).  this will happen a lot quicker if we can all
jump in and help instead of whining on about it.

> Of course i think the best solution for all these problems would be a
> crossplatform toolkit that sits below LCL and has a constant behavior no
> matter what the system is. fpGUI seems to be such a kit, but setting Lazarus
> to compile with this toolkit is failing due to some missing unit.

that's because fpgui isn't that well integrated with lcl, let.  people
are working on this, afaik.  maybe graham can comment.

henry