[Lazarus] rxnew error

Bob K. rkamarowski at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 18 19:10:40 CEST 2008

2008/6/18 Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:
>> For LCL to ever reach v1, all primary widget sets should support the
>> same functionality. If not, remove it from the LCL.
>
> Define 'same functionality'.

OK, lets use the example of this thread. If you have a Form.Color
property working in Win32, that same functionality should work for all
'official' widget sets, before Lazarus can reach v1 status.
Consistency is key!

What's the point in having a property available in a widgetset when it
does nothing.  That's kind of my point.

>> took this route from the start (create their own custom drawn
>> toolkit), I think they would have 70% less bug reports compared to now
>> and Lazarus would long ago have reached v1 status.
>
> I doubt that.

I scan through all the mantis bug reports as they land in my inbox. A
hell of a lot of them are regression bugs. Implement something new
(new event due to a message or something) for a specific widget set
(eg: Treeview under Win32), and it breaks the treeview under other
widget sets. Or the behaviour (features) of the Treeview is now out of
sync between all supported widget sets.  Such errors/issues do not
occur in fpGUI because there is only one set of GUI components and a
platform neutral messaging system - all platforms use the same
component code. Implement something under Linux and it's available
under Windows too.

As for how components look... I spent a lot of time testing canvas
painting routines in fpGUI. The canvas painting routines are now
identical (to the pixel) under Windows and Linux. I can now develop a
new component 100% under Linux and have the knowledge and trust that
it works and looks identical under Windows. And yes I know the old
argument of "Look and Feel", but trust me, users are not that fussy
(Windows Media Player, MS Office etc..). It's very easy to fool 90% of
the users out there in thinking it's native!

All I'm saying is that it's *much* easier to maintain a single set of
components, than trying to make all different toolkits from various
vendors act the same. You guys have done a great job trying, but it's
been a huge battle and a lot of time to get there. Time I think could
have been better spent on something else if LCL was based on it's own
custom drawn toolkit.

Regards,
 - Graeme -