[Lazarus] [lazarus] Advice about creating database-aware application with Lazarus

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 02:26:51 CEST 2008

2008/6/21 Howard Lee Harkness <howard.lee.harkness at gmail.com>:
> At this step: Go to Tools --> Configure build lazarus
> I get the error: Fatal: Can't find unit system used by AllLCLUnits

I just tested here and it works for me. I don't know what is
different. Maybe you unchecked "create default configuration file" in
the fpc installer.

Are you using Windows XP too?

> At least I was able to get 2.2.0 to restore. However, I'm back where I was
> before: A trivial 1-hour project has taken nearly 20 hours over a period of
> 3 weeks, and I haven't got anything to show for that effort. I'm tired of
> this.

If you focus in the positive side, you learned a lot about how to
configure lazarus =)

Also, the original answer by Joost was:

"You can find this problem in the bug-tracker. You can work around it
with 'TDataset.DisableControls' and 'TDataset.Enablecontrols' around the
applyupdates call. Or try fpc 2.2.2rc1 or any later version."

So instead of trying to configure Lazarus with FPC 2.2.2rc1 you coul
just have used TDataset.DisableControls ...

> to work on this for the week, so I think I'll stop by Fry's on the way home
> from work sometime next week and buy a copy of Visual Basic. Bet it won't
> take me 20 hours to write a trivial DB app in VB.

It surely won't be cross-platform, nor will it support unicode =P Also
it's probably a bad choice, as VB will probably wish that you use
Access instead of MySQL (unless you don't care about which database to
use).

But I do agree that Lazarus needs to improve when it comes to
developing database aware applications.

With the money from VB you could pay someone to fix all problems with
lazarus database apps connecting to mysql =P

I would go as far as saying that the only case in which I would
recommend for someone to use Delphi instead of Lazarus is if he is
developing Windows-only data-aware applications and he doesn't need
any of the other features of Lazarus (like being open source,
supporting unicode, etc).

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho