[Lazarus] 0.925 editor of the Chinese characters overlap

peng pengtu321 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 10:38:31 CEST 2008

Howard Lee Harkness wrote:
> Interesting... I tried your approach with MySQL, and I still could not
> get edit to work. It appears to work in the grid, but stopping and
> re-starting the program showed that nothing actually got edited.
>
> Looks like I need to take your advice and try Postgresql. However, I
> won't have any significant time to work on this project until next
> Sunday. Bummer. I still have the vague suspicion that the problem is
> not with MySQL, but with the TNavigator component. But if MySQL simply
> won't work with Lazarus, it just won't work, and I don't need to spend
> the rest of the year running into the same brick wall.
I am not saying that MySQL won't work, rather that Postgres has a
similar 'feel' to using Oracle.  All the concepts are similar.  On the
other hand, while I have never tried MySql, just from perusing this
list, it does seem to have more problems with library versions, etc.

> This is not the only project I have in mind, of course. It's just the
> first step in a much larger project, for which I would like to make
> some money. So the real solution may still be to actually buy some
> commercial development tools. I really wanted to make a go of using
> all open-source stuff, but first I need to find something that is
> ready for prime time.
>
> Until I can write a trivial program that displays, inserts, deletes,
> and edits records in a simple database table, I have no hope whatever
> of getting any farther. So far, I have not seen any evidence that this
> is even possible using Lazarus and MySQL (without writing 1000 lines
> of code to do all of the SQL manipulation), so the next step is to
> evaluate another set of tools.
It probably really is worth satisfying yourself that you can do this
with a dbase (or other local) table first - it does work.

> What I REALLY wanted was to be able to drop some components on a form
> (connection, query, datasource, dbgrid, and dbnavigator), and link
> them together with some properties, and have it work without writing a
> lick of code -- just like I once did with Delphi 3 over a decade ago.
> So far, Lazarus has not caught up with D3, much less D6.
To be fair, while you could do what you are saying with simple stuff
into local (dbase/paradox) tables, I can't ever remember being able to
do that in 'Real World' applications using Delphi 4 C/S into Oracle, of
which I did quite a bit.

> Hmm... I need to spend some time looking for my old copy of D3 and see
> if it will even run on XP.
It will - I even have Delphi 1 running on XP (don't ask why !) as well
as using D4 extensively on it, due to some applications that use paradox
dbs.

> (snip)

Cheers,
John Sunderland