[Lazarus] Java's Document & Elements model

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 11:59:09 CEST 2008

2008/6/26 Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl>:
> All of this is stuff you usually only find out in practice. Hence the remark
> to try it out with a few non trivial components before you decide to force
> it on (fpgui) programmers globally. In general I think this is more
> something for a 2.0 or even 3.0 release, when the consequence are more
> clear, and there has been lots of experimenting.

You raise some valid points.  I was planning to implement it for one
component first. A styled document viewer. Something to view HTML,
XML, RTF etc...  After that, I would start experimenting with other
text based components.

BTW:
In Swing there are two implementations of the Content interface:
GapContent and StringContent.  GapContent is the optimized one.
StringContent simply holds the values in a string array.  The latter
is handy for debugging, but slow on large text.  The Content
implementation classes are interchangable in any Document type
component. So the datastore can vary at will.  As I said, the Document
Interface is very flexible. :-)  No wonder most institutions use Java
as a teaching language. They use design patterns and good OOP
techniques often.

Regards,
 - Graeme -