[Lazarus] Resource string constants support in the Object Inspector

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 14:18:57 CET 2008

On 17/03/2008, Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
>  For LCL applications the translator unit inits the default language from the
>  environment vars. The timing depends on the position in the uses clause of the
>  project. The language can be later set by the app.
>  The question is, when should the .po files (or whatever) read to setup the
>  resourcestrings. Application.Initialize is probably a good place for most apps.

How does LCL applications handle translation of the LCL itself and the
translation files of the application?

eg:  LCL is translated to English and German. These translations can
be reused in the LCL application, but the application will have
specific translations as well (also English and German)?  Does LCL
based applications load both (LCL and Application) translation files,
or does it merge them somewhere into a single translation file etc...?

In fpGUI I handle this by searching for the toolkit's translation file
first (fpgui_XXX.po) and load it into the resourcestrings (this file
can be shared between fpGUI based applications). Then I look for a
translation file that has the same name as the application's executabe
(eg; myapp_XXX.po) and in the same location as the executable and
inserts that into GetText's translation array. Be careful here,
because by default the second .po file will clear the original
translation array.  All this occurs in Application.Initialize and
seems to work quite well so far.

Regards,
  - Graeme -