[Lazarus] Resource string constants support in the Object Inspector

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 20:58:07 CET 2008

On 17/03/2008, Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
>  > And for identifier lookup to work with Lazarus's translation (gettext)
>  > unit, the patch submitted in Mantis bug #10938
>  > [http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=10938] needs to be applied.
>
> Fixed.

Thanks.  :-)

> I only found code to translate them under windows and wince.
>  Maybe this is just not implemented under unix?

For one, the RTL under Linux sets no localization. Even the date
format is hard-coded. :-(

>  > Does that have an affect on LCL based applications as well? Or is it
>  > only because fpGUI talks directly to Xlib and not via GTK, GTK2 or Qt
>  > toolkits which probably implement there own locale settings.
>
> I guess this is independent.
>  But maybe a solution can be easier for the LCL, because it can use full blown
>  widgetsets, while the RTL has only the kernel functions.

I wouldn't put much faith in the widgetsets either. I use Ubuntu with
the standard Gnome desktop. At installation I chose English-South
Africa, which the LANG shows (en_ZA.UTF-8). Yet in various Gnome
applications like File Dialogs, Thunderbird Email Client etc the date
formats all vary. Go figure!  :-)    *unix based OS's still seem to
have a loooooong way to go in getting some consistency between
applications.

Regards,
  - Graeme -