[Lazarus] Resource string constants support in the Object Inspector

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:14:29 CET 2008

On 17/03/2008, Mattias Gärtner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:

> There is no standard yet.

Can LCL be compiled to a different default language (other than
English)? Or do you always need the external .po files around? eg: Say
I want to ship a German application (and German LCL messages) with no
external files (.po or otherwise).

>  For single binary apps both is possible, but single files may be nicer.

Single files sound nice, but I can't see them working in practice.
The application and LCL are two separate projects. Different people
will probably translate each part. LCL has been around for some time
and could have many translations already while the application could
be new.  Then again, if one could somehow merge the two translation
files before the applications is distributed, it could work. Seeing
that .po files are plain text, that should be a fairly trivial task.
And now I've just contradicted my own statement in the beginning of
this paragraph  :)

>  A wiki page should be started and the various conventions should be collected.
>  Then we can decide a standard and implement some tools.

That sounds like a good idea.

> This is one solution. But some installer/package systems expect that translation
>  files should be in specific separate directories (e.g. sub directories).

fpGUI has support for alternative directories (fpgui_XXX.po is one
such example), I simply don't use them at the moment for the
application translation files.

Regards,
  - Graeme -