[Lazarus] Fedora 8 problem

ron schultz ronschultzster at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 20:31:09 CEST 2008

I got it working. This is a copy of a new post I did. Hope this helps
someone else.

I had not been able to get Lazarus to compile with Fedora 8. Being a
Newbie to Linux I probably had done some things wrong. In the forums I
found an install of Lazarus for SUSE by Ignace
http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3801
I decided to try essentially the same thing with Fedora 8.

The processor is an AMD Athlon BE 2400 so this would be an install for x86_64.

I had tried so much stuff that I wanted to start with a fresh install
of Fedora 8. During the install I made sure that I selected
Development Library, Development Tools, GNOME Software Development and
X Software Development.

After the Fedora 8 install and updates these were the relevant
packages and their status as seen in the Fedora 8 Package Manager.
Lazarus was the only package that would need to be downloaded.

fpc-2.2.0-10.fc8.x86_64                                 available
fpc-doc-2.2.0-10.fc8.x86_64                          available
fpc-src.2.2.0-10.fc8.x86_64                           available
gdk-pixbuf-1:0.22.0-35.fc8.x86_64               installed
gdk-pixbuf-devel-1:0.22.0-35.fc8.x86_64     installed
gtk+-devel-1:1.2.10-59.fc8.x86_64               available
gtk+-extra-2.1.1-6.fc8.x86_64                       available
gtk+-extra-devel-2.1.1-6.fc8.x86_64             available

In the Fedora 8 Package Manager I did these things in the following order.

Selected fpc, fpc-doc and fpc-src in Package Manager then Apply. Good result.

Selected gdk-pixbuf and gdk-picbuf-devel then Apply. Package Manager
asked for install disk and did some checks for glibc? and gtk? Good
result.

Selected gtk+-devel, gtk+-extra and gtk+-extra-devel then Apply. Good result.

Downloaded Lazarus. I tried yum localinstall
lazarus-0.9.24-0.x86_64.rpm. Yum came back with missing dependency
lazarus =fpc-2.2.0 which was already installed. Do not understand. I
tried rpm with –nodeps. Rpm –Uvh –nodeps lazarus-0.9.24-0.x86_64.rpm.
That worked fine. As far as I can see Lazarus works as expected. Being
a Newbie to Linux I'm not sure why the problem with yum installing
Lazarus. I guess something like yum does not know about the
repositories at sourceforge.net when it checked for dependencies.

Now on to trying to get up to speed in Linux.