[Lazarus] Printing in Text mode on Windows?

Lee Jenkins lee at datatrakpos.com
Sat May 3 00:02:28 CEST 2008

Stephano wrote:
>>> I tried this and after setting up the printer to print to file, I was able to
>>> print a test page and it came out ok in the file.
>>>
>>> However, once that was done, I tried printing using the rawmodetest.lpi project
>>> and I don't get the dialing asking for the file location and windows reports a
>>> printer error.
>>>
>>> Is there somewhere in code that I should indicate the file location?
>>>
>>> Never did this before, sorry.
>>>
>> The problem was setting up the port as a file path (when setting up the printer)
>> and that worked well to print to the file, but it doesn't print to the actual
>> printer from what I can tell and I'm wondering if there is extra steps necessary
>> to print to a networked printer, but that seems doubtful to me.
>>
> I now understand that you have a remote printer on a networked PC, and
> you want to control it from your local PC.
>
> I have not understood what you have done and the results you got. So
> with the printer connected to the remote PC, try each of the following
> tests and report back the results. Note that each test is based on the
> initial setup, ie changes done for each test should be undone for the
> next test.
>
> 1. Print a test page from your remote PC.
> 2. Print a test page from your local PC.
> 3. Set the Generic Printer Driver on your local PC to print to file and
> use your routine to print.
> 4. Set the Generic Printer Driver on your remote PC to print to file and
> use your routine to print.

Just to be sure, I hooked up an Epson TM88III to the LPT1 on my computer to
negate the possibility that it is a network printing problem and it doesn't work
either.  I can see the print job going into the queue for the printer and then
disappearing quickly, but no output to the printer.

Printing like this is integral to my app (which I'm re-writing from Delphi) but
I will have to go with Delphi if I can't get this to work :(

I have one other thing to try and see if I can get the rawprt unit to work with
Lazarus.

--

Warm Regards,

Lee

"When my company started out, we were really, really, really, really small.
Now...we're just really small."