[Lazarus] [lazarus] Dialogs have disappeared from last svn's

Derek Edson mr.ed.123 at gmail.com
Sat May 3 01:36:16 CEST 2008

Vincent

Thank you for replying.  I replied to this thread (r13691), since the
original e-mail raised the question about missing dialogs, which was what I
was experiencing.

F.Y.I. If you do a clean SVN build, the XML files in the install directory
do not get created, and FileMon (SysInternals) show no access to XML files
in the old location, only to AppData.

I am curious about you statement about every user could install their own
set of packages since Lazarus is statically linking the packages, not
dynamic.  So the executable is rebuilt every time a package is installed.
Food for thought.

Derek

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:09 PM, Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at quicknet.nl>
wrote:

> What does this have to do with missing dialog fixed in r13691?
>
> Derek Edson schreef:
> > I have just upgraded Lazarus from SVN revision 14914 to 15028 and the
> > dialogs (Package dialogs, Tools->Configure build Lazarus, Environment
> > and Editor options Debugger Options, Code Templates) no longer opened.
> >
> > This happened for me using both 32-bit XP (SP2) and Vista 64 (32-bit
> > mode), but not under linux.
> >
> > I spent considerable time trying to fix the issue, included trying to
> > revert to a previous build.  Nothing worked.  I eventually renamed the
> > install directory, and loaded a new copy of Lazarus (via SVN).  Copied
> > the extra library directories and re-installed them (my previous efforts
> > had lost some of the library definitions).  Lazarus then ran with the
> > installed packages.
> >
> > This issue mainly effect the packages and appeared to related to the
> > migration of the XML files from the install root directory into
> > AppData.  Possibly having both the old and new XML files was a problem.
> >
> > Is there some change/enhancement that could be done to prevent this
> > happening to other users?  One thought was to remove the unused files.
> >

> I think both should be there. The xml files in the lazarus directory are
> the default files, the files in AppData are the user settings.
>

> > The other question, moving to AppData I can understand, particularly on
> > Vista, but you have moved all files under the current user.  If the PC
> > was to be shared (not an issue for me personally), then the installed
> > package information is stored under the users personal profile, while
> > the executable is stored in a shared location.  I realize that changes
> > cause problems, but should the installed packages be saved under "All
> > Users" so that Lazarus will build consistently?
> >

> I think every user can install his own sets of packages. When installing
> Lazarus with an installer, it comes with a default set that is equal for
> all users, initially.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. I don't have Vista and am running under an
> account with administrator privileges on windows XP, so I really welcome
> all input.
>
> Vincent

Derek Edson