[Lazarus] Newbie questions

Paul Ishenin webpirat at mail.ru
Tue May 6 16:03:02 CEST 2008

Bill de Carle wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, how did you know fos was a pointer?  I have
> not been able to find where LPSHFileopstructa is defined either.  Is
> this documented somewhere or does the type identifier give us the
> clue?  Not knowing otherwise, do all Windows API calls work that way?

1. you can guess pointer by that type name: LP - dont know exact mean,
but suppose something like long pointer. It is usual winapi naming.
2. It was not a big problem to understand that you have problem with
pointer since compiler told you that. Invalid qualifier means that you
use '.' but should use '^.' :)

You can turn that behaviour off by adding {$mode delphi} at the begining
of your unit.
> Thanks again.  I had to use: if Key=' ' (suppose if key=chr(32) would
> work also).   Where did you learn about the PerformTab(True)?  Is
> there a list of all those things available somewhere?

I'm lazarus developer and I know this things or know where to find (look
at sources near VK_TAB handling) :)
> Works exactly the way I wanted.  Where does one find out these
> things?  It's like I'm still groping around in a dark
> room.  Eventually I'll figure it all out.  Thanks a million,
> Bill

Last one is a well known delphi feature.

Lazarus is delphi compatible in most things. You can get any delphi
book, read it and then try it on lazarus. You can read delphi/lazarus
documentation. And the best knowledge you will get from sources (lazarus
sources ofcource).

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin.