[Lazarus] LazReport

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 14 09:33:46 CEST 2008

Lee Jenkins wrote:
> Reporting is significant to an application (well the back office portion) that
> I'm hoping to write with Lazarus/Freepascal and without a viable solution, I
> stuck with using Delphi or Visual Studio/Mono.

I have not user FreeReports or LazReports yet, so can't comment on them.
I wouldn't dismiss Lazarus/Free Pascal that quickly though. ;-)

I have a RTF based report engine which might come in handy as well. I
use it to report off my tiOPF objects, but it can report from TDataset's
as well, or both. You can create custom fields (tags) for use in your
reports as well. So you are only limited to what Free Pascal can do! :)

The RTF report engine was originally written for Delphi and tiOPF. I
ported it to Free Pascal and fpGUI. It should work as-is for Lazarus. I
commented out the image support due to fpGUI lacking JPEG support, but
that should be fairly straight forward to get working with Lazarus (as
it's much closer to how Delphi works).  I can email you in private the
original and ported RTF engine if you want. It's one unit and a sample
application.

BTW: I use OpenOffice to view reports and design the rtf report
templates. I have even created a OpenOffice macro to convert the
generated rtf to pdf before it gets viewed by the user.

BTW #2: I still want to have a look at PowerPDF as well. That would be
handy for non-Lazarus based applications as well.

Regards,
   - Graeme -