[Lazarus] Cairo library usage

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara luizmed at oi.com.br
Sat May 17 01:31:27 CEST 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> * Does it come standard with X11?  I read some docs on the net (dated
> 2000) that Cairo was an idea for a new graphics subsystem in X Windows
> to take advantage of newer video cards emerging in the market. Did
> that idea materialize? Is Cairo now considered standard with X11 like
> Xft?

No. Cairo is one component of the gtk stack although it can be used
independently of gtk. The only dependency is libpng AFAIK.

> * How is it's support on Windows or Mac OS X?

Windows is marked as supported platform (in fact, most of my dev with
cairo is done in windows). Starting with 1.6 Mac OSX/Quartz is marked as
supported. As a side note, Firefox 3 uses cairo to render all stuff in
all platforms (this is one of the reasons to the speedup in page loading).

Luiz