[Lazarus] Cairo library usage

Luiz Americo Pereira Camara luizmed at oi.com.br
Sat May 17 01:56:08 CEST 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Ales Katona wrote:
>
>> Not from my head, just googled out stuff:
>>
>> GTK+ <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTK%2B>, starting in 2005 with
>> version 2.8, uses Cairo to render the majority of its widgets
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widget_%28computing%29>.
>>

> Thanks for pointing me to wikipedia. I found the following page listed
> below. It's an informative page that helped explain Cairo to me. It's
> seems my comparison with SDL, AggPas etc was spot on. In summary, Cairo
> is a platform neutral API to 2D graphics.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo_%28graphics%29

Additionally, there's an ongoing effort to port the graphics WebKit
backend to cairo under windows  to avoid the binary only graphic library
used currently.

Another relevant aspect of cairo, is the ability to have the same output
to different targets (screen, image, pdf, ps)  using the same code.
That's handy, e.g., to print preview screens.

Luiz