[Lazarus] Cairo library usage

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat May 17 17:19:40 CEST 2008

On Sat, 17 May 2008 11:27:52 -0300
"Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho" <felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Mattias Gaertner
> <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de> wrote:
> >>  - LCL-gtk2 applications are slower than gtk2 pure applications
> >
> > What did you measure? How much?
>
> I think that the great comparation is gedit vs SynEdit. gedit has a
> decent speed, while synedit (and thus lcl-gtk2) has noticable speed
> issues.

The former mails talked about 2d vector graphics and polygon.
gedit/synedit is about font. I just want to make sure, we are talking
about the same things.

> I think it was already determined that pango/cairo was the problem and
> that using gdk directly would solve our problems, wasn't it?

AFAIK there were only a few simple tests. And I presented some simple
tests, that showed that the speed can vary a lot between the widgetsets
on various machines.

> >> If the LCL devels agree in one week i can provide a complete
> >> separated Gtk2 interface so the changes to get LCL-Gtk2 faster can
> >> be done easily and without breaking gtk1
> >
> > What do you mean with 'complete separated Gtk2 interface'?
>
> I think he means separating gtk2 from gtk1.
>
> Is Luis in the dev mailling list? The issue of separating was already
> extensively discussed, and Mark didn't accept it, so we reached a
> compromise that only some parts can be split for now, and that we
> can't just split, but we need to first, or at the same time, improve
> the code.

Yes.

Mattias