[Lazarus] Linux Installation Advise

ik idokan at gmail.com
Sun May 18 16:01:23 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Lee Jenkins <lee at datatrakpos.com> wrote:
> ik wrote:
>> I'd never used Lazarus with CentOS (it is a server distro for Linux,
>> and it is not suitable enough for desktop use, use Fedora for desktop
>> use instead if you wish to have redhat approach).
>
> Hmmm.  I'm no distro expert by any stretch, Ido but isn't it the same if I don't
> choose all the server related software on install and choose the desktop
> oriented path?

Ammm, not really.on CentOS, the pacakges are more stable ->  older and
more mature .
On Fedora they are newer, and less stable (because we worked with them
less time, and it had less updates).

>> For GTK2, you should install libgtk2* that is the libraries of GTK2
>> and also do not forget to install pixbuf of GTK2.
>> The same for GTK1.2 (but who use it this days anyway ?!)
>
> I found this out last night since even the lazarus snapshot RPM's don't seem to
> indicate these as dependencies, maybe assumed that they already exist on the
> machine and the person installing has a modicum of knowledge about GUI
> development on Linux ;)

Then the person that created the spec file didn't create it properly imho.

>> After you have installed all of the above, you can compile (don't you
>> have a spec file for creating Lazarus in RPM ?!) and install Lazarus.
>>

> No, I don't.  Is there another use for a spec file other than creating an RPM?

SPEC/SRPM are used for creating RPM package using rpmbuild.

> Thanks!
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Lee