[Lazarus] embedding fomrs into forms

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at t-online.de
Mon May 19 00:06:40 CEST 2008

Am Sonntag, den 18.05.2008, 23:18 +0200 schrieb Marco van de Voort:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 06:12:27PM +0200, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 17.05.2008, 16:30 +0200 schrieb Mattias Gaertner:
> > > Putting LCL controls into a dynamic linked library is only possible
> > > with more or less dirty tricks. This is independent of nesting forms.
> >
> > What are these tricks?
>
> Exactly controlling the state of the RTL. Either to be exactly the same in
> the dynlib and the mainprogram, at least for the cases that matter.
>
> > I read about shared libs in the wiki reagrding RTL/VMT duplication and
> > having a shared memory manager. A quick test switching program and
> > form-contaning dll to cmem did not help.
>
> That is correct, those are the most important ones. There is no end user
> safe way to my knowledge, just limited experiments of people that knew what
> they were doing. (or were lucky)

So no way to go for production software (at least for me ;).

> > My goal is to have a core programm and some additional parts delivered
> > separately. Compiling the program for every permutation of combinations
> > is not quite usable if the count of extras goes up.
>
> Packages is the only long term way. Unless your interface between the DLL
> and the program can be really limited and rigid. Then you might have luck
> the manual way.

I don't understand, do you say, packages are dynamically loadable? I
thought of them as statically linkable organizational containers.

If a user has installed the basic program, can I send him a package that
can be loaded at statup extending the program?

Marc