[Lazarus] Linux Installation Advise

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Mon May 19 17:54:49 CEST 2008

Op zondag 18-05-2008 om 17:01 uur [tijdzone +0300], schreef ik:

> > I found this out last night since even the lazarus snapshot RPM's
> don't seem to
> > indicate these as dependencies, maybe assumed that they already
> exist on the
> > machine and the person installing has a modicum of knowledge about
> GUI
> > development on Linux ;)
>
> Then the person that created the spec file didn't create it properly
> imho.

Oh, yes he did. He also thought about the fact that people want to use
these rpm's on different distributions. And all those distributions have
different names for all those packages.

If all the dependencies were added, it would only install on one
distribution.

If you need to install Lazarus/fpc on your distribution, just use the
packages provided by that distribution. If they don't provide those,
start complaining or send patches to the people of that distribution.
While you're doing that, you can try to find some info on the wiki on
how to install fpc/lazarus on your distribution.

If you want to install snapshots, we assume that you know what you're
doing. It's always smart to install a released rpm provided by your
distritution first. Then install a snapshot afterwards.

Joost