[Lazarus] target filename extension

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed May 21 10:40:24 CEST 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008 09:38:30 +0200
Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Where in Lazarus (or maybe even FPC) do I setup the target filename
> extension for each platform.
>
> eg:
>    Without specifying anything, under Windows it's '.exe'
>    Under Linux and FreeBSD it's nothing.
>
> I'm getting annoyed not being able to easily search and delete any
> executables in my Linux programming folders.

Here is a one liner:
find my-Linux-programming-folder -name '' -type f -perm /111 -regex
'[^.]+' -exec rm {} \;

I'm curious:
Why don't you use an output directory? Then you can simple delete all
files there.

> So from now onwards I
> would like all my Linux projects to actually have an extension. I'm
> thinking of following the Mac idea. Using '.app' as an extension.

IMO .app is a bad idea, because: The .app is hidden in
the finder, the executable itself has no extension and .app is meant to
be the folder, not the executable.

> don't want to use '.exe' because to me that denotes Windows
> applications and I want to easily distinguish between them.

IMHO you should easily distinguish between Mac OS X applications
folders and linux binaries too and not use .app.

> I know I can change the target filename in 'Project Options', but
> then it's going to be the same for all platforms. I want it to be
> '.exe' for Windows and '.app' under Linux & FreeBSD.
>
> I would also like it to be a default. I don't want to go to each
> project and change the Project Options. Is there something like that
> available? Even if I need to locally modify my Lazarus, I don't mind.
> Maybe this can even become a new Environment Option in Lazarus?

There is no option yet. Here is the default:
ide/lazconf.pp GetExecutableExt

Mattias