[Lazarus] EpikTimer contributions

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 22 13:32:45 CEST 2008

Marc Santhoff wrote:

> $ file *
> Physik_Praktikum 6.xls:     Microsoft Office Document
> Versuch 3a.doc:             Microsoft Office Document
> Versuch 6a.doc:             Microsoft Office Document
> Zugefestigkeit:             directory
> Zugversuch.pdf:             PDF document, version 1.4
>
> So file does know at least ms-word documents. I think

Before this message thread I never knew about the 'file' command.

graemeg at graemeg:tmp$ file unt*
untitled1: data
untitled2: Rich Text Format data, version 1, ANSI
untitled3: Microsoft Office Document

 From it's output, it seems to know 'untitled3' is a MS Word document,
yet Nautilus cannot open it when I double click on it. Clearly some bug
in Nautilus or some system specific setup issue on my system.

Bottom line is that file extensions have a use. They simply make things
easier, although they are not perfect.

>>> .linux or .elf
>> I like .elf!  :-)
>
> $ file enum
> enum: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), statically linked, stripped
>
> Hmmmm... ;)

Open Source software - one can never win! ;) On my system...

graemeg at graemeg:textwidth$ file textwidth.elf
textwidth.elf: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV),
dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

Even though the system could be FreeBSD or Linux, .elf is a good enough
extension for my executables. '*.elf-linux' is just to long. My copy of
Lazarus by default now generates '*.elf' named executables under Linux. :-)

Now I just need to figure out how to convince FPC to do it by default
from the command line.

Regards,
   - Graeme -