[Lazarus] Connecting to a Postgres Database

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Sun May 25 21:26:53 CEST 2008

Op zondag 25-05-2008 om 17:54 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Dave
Coventry:
> I don't HAVE a windows postgres installation.

Then you can't use postgres on that machine.

> Why are they needed, anyway? I don't see any mention of their
> requirement in the wiki(s).

"I need to read this word-document. And now someone tells me to install
'Microsoft Word'. That's bull, it must be something else. Why do I need
Word, anyway?"

> I'm not actually convinced that this is the problem; how do I test to
> see if the Ubuntu server is allowing Postgres transactions?

If the error says: the postgres-client is not installed, you doubt that
that is the problem?!?

If you want to test if your ubuntu-server to allow postgres-connections,
you can do that with the 'psql' utility. If you want to know where you
can find it: it's part of the postgresql-client. You know, that
application that you don't need.

> Many thanks,

Sorry, coudn't resist.