[Lazarus] Connecting to a Postgres Database

Dave Coventry dgcoventry at gmail.com
Sun May 25 22:27:13 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 9:26 PM, Joost van der Sluis <joost at cnoc.nl> wrote:
> Then you can't use postgres on that machine.

> "I need to read this word-document. And now someone tells me to install
> 'Microsoft Word'. That's bull, it must be something else. Why do I need
> Word, anyway?"
Hmm.

> If the error says: the postgres-client is not installed, you doubt that
> that is the problem?!?
Well, yes, sometimes error messages tend to describe a general error
condition rather than a specific cause. Try using the windows
troubleshooter if you can't get a printer to work.

> If you want to test if your ubuntu-server to allow postgres-connections,
> you can do that with the 'psql' utility. If you want to know where you
> can find it: it's part of the postgresql-client. You know, that
> application that you don't need.
Well, I think a better solution would probably be to use telnet as
suggested by another subscriber.

> Sorry, coudn't resist.
The point is that I don't want to have to install PostgreSQL on every
machine that uses my app.

Fine, if I have to include a few dlls as part of the package, but I
saw no mention of this in the wiki.