[Lazarus] Postgres database again...

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 28 08:32:28 CEST 2008

Joao Morais wrote:
>>> nightmare. Knowing you have a guaranteed unique ID from the start is a
>>> big plus.
>
> Why? Btw you don't need to know the ID before store the objects since
> you are using a persistence framework.

As I said in a previous post, our business objects don't reference each
other via there OID, so no it's not important for me. And yes the OPF
frameworks takes care of the nitty gritty stuff.

For those not using the tools I use, might not be so luck. In example...
Using the standard DB components in Delphi or Lazarus and using
Master/Details grids and tables, you need to save the master record
first, find out the unique identifier of the master record, include that
in the SQL for the detail records.

In the this example you need a extra round trip to the database if your
application can't generate a unique identifier itself. GUID's make this
a no brainer. :)

Regards,
   - Graeme -