[Lazarus] Postgres database again...

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 28 15:04:35 CEST 2008

2008/5/28 Marc Santhoff <M.Santhoff at t-online.de>:

> This is where the low-high-scheme may be a good approach.
>
> Get the high part from the key server at startup  or when needed because
> the lower part space is exhausted once and add a timestamp for the lower
> part on every new key. That way the ids are pretty compressible.

Interesting...

Looking at the other OID Generators available in tiOPF. I see there is
a OIDHex Generator. Similar to GUID. It uses 32 character in Hex
format and the Ambler High/Low algorithm. What I don't like is that it
works the same as the Int and Int64 generators. It requires a Next_ID
table to store the last used numbers.  The HexOID will be a lot more
compressible as parts are similar.

But at least now I know that if the GUID's and Indexing speed becomes
a issue (I'll do a lot more testing), I should be able to switch to
the HexOID without any major hassles.

Regards,
 - Graeme -