[Lazarus] [OT] New "free" IDE from Trolltech

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 00:20:31 CET 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
<felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it's very interresting how things turned out. Trolltech
> started as a very small company, like 2 guys in a garage, and they
> started developing their UNIX GUI library, a very small niche market.

Yeah, I read the history of Trolltech company some time back. Their
wives supported them for the first year while they just did coding on
Qt. :-)  My wife's not falling for that one!  :-(

> A lot of people said in the borland newsgroups: support Mac OS X,
> support Linux, go Unicode, go 64-bits, etc. But they never listened,
> instead they went .NET, feeding the competition and stoping in time.

A classic case of following the "hype" and marketing bull***t of other
companies. And not listening to what there real customers (developers)
actually want.

> Trolltech on the other hand went cross-platform, and walked their way
> up with a very good quality product.

I must say, I am truly impressed with the Qt product. It's just
amazing what Trolltech has achieved and at the speed that they are
doing it.

> Luckly there is Free Pascal and Lazarus, so people with Object Pascal
> code bases don't need to sink with the Delphi boat.

Oh so true!  I love the FPC/Lazarus community and the Object Pascal
language.  As much as I like the idea of what Qt has become and
achieved, there is no way I am switching to C/C++ language and also
not at a $5000 per developer license.

Regards,
  - Graeme -